Monday, April 23, 2012

Farewell facebook...we're breaking up ;)

Over the past several months, I have been stressed out to my maximum. While I realize my 'troubles' are not life-threatening, or devastating (well, some are,) I am having a highly difficult time dealing with them while under the non-stop pressures of being a full-time nursing student, mom and soon-to-be employee.

I have taken multiple measures as of late to decrease my stress, but no matter what I try I always feel like there is a monkey on my back shouting to me to take more on, be connected at all times...and that monkey is called facebook.

While I do not consider myself a social media addict, I am sure some people think I must be for the amount I am on it. But the real reason is, it is always there...on my phone, which I am tethered to, my laptop, which I am usually using for schoolwork or simply entertainment...it never sleeps. Facebook is always there, 24/7. I am always only a few clicks away from someone asking me for a favor, inviting me to an event, asking me to meet up with them....no more.

I have realized that my biggest stress buster will be taking a step back from facebook. I will wean away, as many people use it as the #1 way to reach me quickly. But those who know me and NEED me know how else to get in touch with me. Since I cannot say no to a well-intentioned cup of coffee, or a request to watch someone's kid for a 'playdate,' I need to just remove myself from the situation.

Will I start jonesing and need a good benzo to bring me down from my withdrawal? No. I simply removed the app from my phone, and I am halfway there. Now, when I am on the road and it is not worth the ride home, and I am at school 30 minutes early for pick-up, I will put my head back and relax. I will read my Kindle, listen to music...give MYSELF 30 minutes.

Nothing NECESSARY happens on facebook. If my son's school needs me, they will call. If my friends have a party and send out a fb invite, they will also text me if they want me there. My husband is not on facebook at all. I am not leaving fb, as I do have a great network of great people established. But I will use it as a means of occasional contact as opposed to the need to be constantly connected.

I am sure I will feel anxious at first, as I will feel like I am letting certain people down...not in the 'how will they survive if they don't know what funny thing matthew said on the way to school?!' sort of way, but just that spontaneous, 'hey, let me ask Erica...' and I am not there to respond sort of way.

I will still blog, as I find it very therapeutic, and it has even opened a couple of doors for me. I will still be tethered to my phone, just sans that blue f app on my front page. I think I will work on liberating myself from groupon next....nah, that's just crazy talk ;)

If you are someone who would like to keep me in your loop, my email is ericagoppold@gmail.com :)

No comments:

Post a Comment