Tuesday, December 20, 2011

And for my next trick...

I often refer to my to-do list as 'my bag of tricks.' As in 'and for my next trick...' I do not feel I perform any more or difficult tasks than any other mom, but with the added stresses of being a full-time college student and having a work-a-holic husband, it is really a lot some days.

Some days (well, most days) after 4-9 hours of class, I want nothing more than to come home and go to my warm, inviting bed. However, reality forces me to pick up child from school, figure out dinner, fight with child to finish his homework and do my own homework. Sometimes hubby is there, sometimes he is not. Then there are my dogs who bark incessantly if a scoop of chows are not poured into their bowls by exactly 5pm.

I also frequently use the phrase 'you can't make this stuff up!' This comes in handy on the nights when the child agrees to feed the dogs after a 5-minute tantrum and then proceeds to trip and scatter Purina chow across our hardwood floors. Or send him to wash his hands for dinner, only to discover he has rigged the automatic soap dispenser to continuously dump soap down the sides of the sink. These incidents cause me to haphazardly leave dinner on the stove unattended and it's pizza again!

I just can't seem to get it right. Some say I have taken on too much, others say I simply overreact. I think I just need a week in the Caribbean with a blue drink in my hand...so for my next trick, maybe I shall look into just that ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment