Monday, December 19, 2011

The Well-Rounded Mom

I consider myself a well-rounded individual. I am first a hands-on mom, wife who puts dinner on the table (most nights,) has been in the professional world and am currently working on my third college degree in my second major while volunteering for various community wellness organizations. I am also physically well-rounded thanks to stress-eating and my love of fermented beverages.

It is funny to me how I look at other moms and compare myself to them. Every single one of them. And I always feel I am inadequate. Maybe I didn't stay home long enough? Maybe I should have waited until he was older until I went back to school? Maybe I should volunteer in the classroom more? Maybe I shouldn't allow him to watch some of the shows he watches on tv? And the list goes on...I never feel like I add up to the 'other moms.' Why do I do this? My child is healthy, bright (maybe even more intelligent than the average 6 year-old,) he plays the violin and rock climbs, likes to read, we do educational activities together...

It is because I am a mom-and a well-rounded one at that...mommy guilt is the worst variety of guilt life has to offer....

No comments:

Post a Comment