Friday, December 23, 2011

Family Traditions

I grew up in a family that did not have a rich cultural background. I am a Heinz 57....mostly Polish, with some Irish and French (and I think some Native American thrown in there somewhere.) We didn't have any particular dish or cultural tradition that we celebrated. When I met my husband's extended family, I learned more about the Polish culture from their strong Roman Catholic convictions to traditional Pierogie and Keilbasa holiday dinners. It made me feel as if I had missed out on my own culture and traditions. 

I was faced with this the other day when my 6 year-old asked on the ride home from school 'why don't we have any family traditions?' They had discussed it in school, in particular a Jewish boy in his class had explained their Hanukah traditions and other children chimed in with things their families do during the holiday season. My heart sank as I realized I had done nothing to stop the cycle of feeling a lack of tradition. So, I sucked up my pride in preparation to back pedal and change the subject, when to my great surprise spouted off a list of 'traditions' that not only our family currently does, but things that I did as a kid as well. 

I explained that we bake the same cookies each year, go to church on Christmas Eve, enjoy a prime rib dinner with his grandma, grandpa and uncle and see my husband's parents, brother and wife a few days before or after the holiday. We leave out snacks for Santa and his reindeer on Christmas Eve and open presents Christmas morning. Then there are traditions such as year-end donations to organizations we hold near to our hearts, donating hats and gloves to giving trees and other ways we share our bounty. While these traditions may not have any cultural, spiritual, or 'organized' aspect to them, they are ours. 

So, even if I can count watching "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" every Thanksgiving weekend to kick off the holiday season, it is still a tradition.

With this, I wish you and yours a magical holiday filled with traditions new and old....I look forward to enjoying ours :)

No comments:

Post a Comment