Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Christmas Letter

Last Christmas, in lieu of our traditional photo card, I sent out our first and last "Christmas Letter." Don't get me wrong, I enjoy getting them. One of my BFF's sends one out and I eat up the details of my beloved goddaughter and the adventures I miss living several states apart. Although, the 2-page single-spaced lovely we received from a couple I have never met in person was a bit much...however, keeping in mind 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder,' I am sure a good portion of their audience enjoyed it.

The reason for our letter last year, was because I had begun nursing school, my husband's nature of work had changed and our son had begun kindergarten. These were things I felt like keeping my extended friends/family in the loop about. The trouble I ran into was trying to not sound like brag-fest 2010 (we had gone to Disney and were sending child to a Montessori school,) and did not want to sound like a pity party (hubby travels, is on-call 24/7 and rarely takes a day off.)

Once I honed in on what I felt like sharing, I pondered whether I should send the letter to EVERYONE on our holiday card list or just ones who are not 'in the loop' of our every day. I opted to send it to everyone, which I still cringe to think about. In a world of facebook, even friends of yesteryear know what we ate for dinner last night....so this is why I will never do it again.

However, as I clicked away ordering our 2011 holiday gem from the Apple store, I couldn't help but ponder what would have gone into this year's manifest. I imagine it would have gone something like this...

Dear Family and Friends,
     We have survived yet another year of insanity. I am back in college full-time and sometimes cry myself to sleep at night. I went to the doctor for a regular check-up and she recommended I go on meds for my anxiety. Hubby works 60+ hours a week and sometimes we don't see him for days at a time. Our dear child began first grade this year!! The first month consisted of him hating it and having a fit EVERY morning and evening, and me considering whether or not we had made the right decision by advancing him. But he is really flourishing now!
      We bought a new car! It is kind of extravagant, but we needed a 'pair and a spare' and felt like something fun to drive. Bets are on me to get the first speeding ticket. AND it shot our insurance rate sky-high! Woot!
       We also added a new family member this year. A lovely hamster that is a lot of fun and only smells a little. The dogs try to eat her, but they haven't yet! We hope this letter finds you healthy, happy and full of joy for the new year.

    Fondly,
Our Family


Just a glimpse into our year...a little brag, a little pity, and a little TMI. Just the right amount of uncomfortable...the perfect Christmas Letter ;)
     

1 comment:

  1. I love this Christmas letter! You are absolutely right, this is what they should look like. :) Loving your blog! -Jeanmarie

    ReplyDelete