Friday, February 3, 2012

Decisions

The stress of being in my last semester of nursing school is at its peak right now. While some people are gleefully counting down the days until May, I am frantically counting hours missed and hoping nothing else happens to cause me to miss another clinical day. I am one stomach bug away from possibly exceeding my limit and being dismissed from the course, thanks to the sick days I needed to take this week. In addition to being on the mend and missing 2 clinical days this week, I was also unsuccessful on an exam...only by a few points, but that is totally not my style!

I think what happened here is I put myself and my wellness above my school work....I realized that holistically, I needed to take enough time to heal rather than keep pushing and playing an endless game of cat and mouse with some random infection. Dare I say I made a mature decision?? I also put forth the interests of my child, who needs me to be healthy. A sick mom is a sick household here....I am fortunate that whatever ravaged my tonsils did not seem to spread to the rest of my family.

Typically, I would be devastated by the exam grade I earned today. But I am more proud that I took the exam today, picked up my kid from school, let him ride his scooter awhile, loaded the dishwasher, put in a load of laundry and didn't immediately crash on the couch. I took time to be sick, so I was able to do those things today. I put my family and my health first....isn't that what life is about? Sure my education is important, but at the end of the day a healthy family is more so. I think I may have learned a great lesson today.....and hopefully it will stick!!

No comments:

Post a Comment