Thursday, February 2, 2012

Pride

I am so proud of my little man today! Today is his first 'science showcase' at his school. He is not a child who enjoys sports, but rather enjoys activities in science and other academia where he is free to explore and ask questions. We have long suspected that the sciences may be his strength, and today is a milestone we will cherish forever.

His topic is simple: 'how are rainbows made?' He wanted to do a project about fiber optics, which he does have a basic understanding of, but I wanted him to do a project he could fully do and understand on his own in his 6 year-old realm. He learned the word refraction, and the colors of the spectrum created from white light.

Even more than the fact that he gets to really be in his comfort zone this evening, he takes great pride in today. He even wore a shirt with buttons and 'flaps' and let me spike his hair (which is generally unheard of.) He was so excited about today, that he had a great violin practice session this morning with the realization that practice makes perfect, and pride pushes you through.

He looked years wiser to me when I dropped him off at school this morning. And in a way, he is. He learns a great lesson today beyond any scientific question....he learned how to feel pride in his accomplishments. Something I can never teach him on my own...

No comments:

Post a Comment