Sunday, February 12, 2012

I dunno...

One of the most frustrating things about dealing with my 6 year-old lately, has been his lack of recall. I can ask him what he's eating WHILE he's chewing it, and I'll get that blank stare and 'I dunno.' Two words kind of slurred together in a way that makes you wonder if he indeed knows anything?!

He's pretty good about telling me what happened in school each day when I pick him up and we embark on our journey home. But as the 3 of us sit at the dinner table about an hour later and I ask him about specific details (with lots of prompts) to share with my husband, we get the eyes and the 'i-unno.'

Now, this is his short-term recall. His long-term memory is uncanny, and he downright startles us with the crystal clear detail in which he remembers seemingly non-memorable moments. He can quote movie lines from DVD's he hasn't seen in months with shocking accuracy. I guess I am just afraid that his brain is so full, that his new memories just have no place to go?!

This does work to his advantage in the sense that you only have to tell/teach him something once and he's got it. He remembers what he reads, learns from TV, EVERY cuss that has EVER been uttered by me, etc, etc...I only wish I had that same gift as an adult nursing student. I'd rock!

As I wrap this up, I am beginning to dread our project for the evening....journaling in a class notebook about the adventures we had with the class stuffed pet this weekend. I am preparing myself for the 'i-uh-no' I will undoubtedly get when I asked what we did yesterday (he already forgot that we went to a Mardi Gras party last night, which was a pretty big part of our day...) Let's go see what he DOES know...

No comments:

Post a Comment