Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Social

I had the opportunity to volunteer this week in my son's 6-9 year old classroom. To my great horror, I discovered that he has been sanctioned to working at a desk WITH THE TEACHER.......MY kid is THAT kid!!

I had requested a conference several weeks ago when I found out that he had been held out of recess on several occasions to complete his am work. I found out that his lack of completion was due to his desire to chat with his friends (wonder where he gets that from.) We had discussed ways that may help him focus, but I didn't realize this would be one of them. The classroom is set-up and designed in a way that the children may sit at any table or spot on the floor to do their work. Not my kid. His name is taped to a table for 4, along with 2 other kids and the teacher....

I am not offended by this means of restriction. He is somewhat immature socially, and the youngest by a few months than any of the other children in the class. This is one of the areas where this shows up. I am not upset with the teachers. They are handling the situation....this is what I asked for, after all. I am just very humbled by the fact that MY kid is the one who needs the 'special' seat by the teacher, if you will.

The funny part of this story, is that he is proud of this spot. While my stomach dropped to my knees when I made this discovery, he proudly brought me to his spot and told me 'I get to sit here and if I need anything from the teacher, she's right here!!' He totally doesn't get that he has been singled out as 'that' kid, and is happy to have a bit more self-control and finish his work in a timely manner. To each his own, I suppose.

This brought me back to my tenure as an elementary school student. I was well-behaved and fell through the cracks by being quiet and producing mediocre, yet passing level work. Upon entering middle school, I became a bit more social....well, maybe more like a lot more social, and became a disruption in the classroom. Still providing mediocre work, I no longer slid through the cracks because I was loud. 

I feel this has been a weakness as well as a strength. Being 'loud' has gotten me far in life. I speak up for what I believe in, stand by others, and don't go unnoticed in a crowd. I am not obnoxious, and try not to be annoying, but definitely believe in speaking up. After all, the answer is always no if you don't ask the question...

Where I am going with this, is that my kid is awesome. He loves people. He is fascinated by them. He may struggle balancing his social life with working life, but who doesn't? A personality as strong as his, paired with his social nature, as well as his ability to analyze and manage can be a wonderful thing...Perhaps he is the next CEO of a major company, or *gasp* a politician....who knows? Whatever happens, I hope he remains social and embracing of people. These gifts have done me well and I wish him the same.....talk on, little man....just remember to get the other stuff done too ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment