Thursday, January 5, 2012

Reading mom

This morning, I got the opportunity to be 'reading mom' in my son's classroom. It is a task I gladly volunteer to do, and try to get there at least once a month. The job is to take the children in the class out into the hall individually, listen to them read and briefly note their progress to the teacher. While I enjoy this opportunity as a former educator, my favorite part is getting to be an active part of my first grader's school day.

I got to witness him enter the class and find a silent reading book to start off his day, observe morning circle and watch as he gathered his day's 'work' and headed off to his chosen place in the room to get going....what I failed to mention here is that he attends a Montessori school, which is an alternative style to public school education. I got to watch him interact with his buddies, problem solve when deciding what to work on, and lay out on the floor with one of his teachers to work on a manipulative math assignment. I got to have conversations with his classmates and giggle over the silly parts of the stories they are reading...it was such a fantastic morning.

The best part of my morning though (besides the very public hug I received from him as I left the classroom) was the joy and pride I felt watching my little boy function so well in his little world. I feel so proud and fortunate to be able to afford him this education. It is not just a financial sacrifice, but also one of time, as we have a 35 minute one-way commute. I couldn't have found a better school for him if I had created one myself. I am so thankful that this amazingly smart, curious little boy my husband and I have created is in his own niche where he can be him and not stifled by structure and policy.

So, I walk with an extra bounce in my step today, extra proud of my precious little man, knowing that he is being cared for and nurtured in such a special way. I wish every parent could feel as happy as I do with our child's education....if only....

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it wonderful when you get to see them in their educational environment. I love volunteering in the classroom.

    I'm so glad he is doing so well in Montessori.

    ReplyDelete