Monday, January 2, 2012

'Lucky'

I hate the word 'lucky' and choose to use it sparingly. I feel, however that it is overly and inappropriately used by many. Webster's dictionary defines lucky as "having good luck; happening by chance; producing or resulting in good by chance." I have been told that my husband and I are "lucky" because he makes a good salary that allows me the opportunity to be in school and not bring in any income. He also earned a degree from a well-known university and graduated number one in his engineering class. Is that lucky? Or did he earn his job due to hard work and perseverance? Also, am I 'lucky' to be a career-change student at 33 years old, or am I taking a risk?

I have also used 'lucky' used to describe fellow classmates of mine who utilize the G.I. Bill to fund their educations. Is that lucky? I think those individuals earn the right to use what they have earned by providing their service through the U.S. Military.

To me, luck is winning the lottery or having your name chosen to win a door prize. Our accomplishments in life are based upon on how much we put into them. People may feel down on their luck when things don't go their way, but overall, I feel that the term 'luck' should be reserved for things that truly happen by chance. I am sure that I have used the term lucky to describe earned fortunes in the past, but since I have been told I am 'lucky' to have some of the fortunes my husband and I have worked hard to EARN, I am very careful how I use the term.

So, next time you consider someone to be 'lucky,' consider what you are implying. While you may mean it as a compliment, you may be demeaning the value of what they have worked hard to earn.

Just my 2 cents ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment